When people talk about their hobbies you get a variety of answers; running, drawing, playing sports, etc. But for me when I think about what I love to do it is planning. Now I know what you are thinking, “How can planning be a hobby and are you really so boring that your favourite thing to do is plan?”
I love to organize and I also love being creative which means that planning has become a perfect hobby for me and it is something that keeps me on track and know what is going on in my life. Now today you get a look into my planner, something that I don’t tend to show most people as I think they would think that I was crazy if they saw what it looks like.
One of my favourite parts of the year is picking out the planner that I will use for the upcoming year. I currently start a new planner every August/September, but that is because I still exist on a student schedule so I am expecting that to change in the upcoming year. For a few years I used the big Ban.do planner which was really fun and worked really well for me, but this past year I was needing something new. This year I went for a Studio Oh! planner (find on chapters website here).
There are many things that I like about this planner including;
- All the monthly spreads are at the beginning of the planner. This means that I can see all the months at once and they aren’t spread out through the planner.
- A sidebar on the weekly spread. I like this for tracking my blog posts, school tasks for the week, and all the things I need to do that do not have specific days attached to them.
- Boxes on the bottom of each day. I use these boxes for meal planning, my workout schedule, and Nigel’s schedule and it is really easy to see and plan out throughout the week.
- Saturday and Sunday are the same size as the rest of the week. In so many planners the weekend is half the size as a weekday which doesn’t make sense when you have so much stuff going on on the weekend.
How I Plan: (This generally starts on Wednesday of the week before)
- I start with a blank slate and I pick the sticker set and theme that I am going with throughout the week. I have some favourite sticker shops that I love and know that they will always have stickers that I love and that will work for me. These shops are Oh Hello, Stationary, Planner Penguin, and PeacefulmindDesign
- I do the base decorating for my planner that I do every week. This includes washi tape, checklists at the start of every day, and headers on the sidebar
- I look at my monthly view. This is where I put any big events that are happening throughout the week such as assignments, meetings, and my volunteer jobs and I add those to the schedule
- I put in Nigel’s schedule, this doesn’t change much so I know when his days off are and what days he is working which we then can plan our week around
- I don’t typically write much until Sunday as then I know more about what the week will look like. This is when I meal plan, schedule out my workouts, and also fill out the checklists for the first day or two for things such as school work and other tasks I need to do throughout the day
- I am never truly done planning, I add things throughout the week and of course I check off the tasks as I finish them
Now you know a bit more about my crazy, nerdy hobby. I know it is not something very traditional, but it is what gives me joy and it keeps me organized to boot.