Last month was not a very great reading month for me, I kept abandoning books partway through and there were days when I did not feel like picking up a book at all. For someone who bases much of her life on her reading and her ability to read this was very disheartening.
Now my reading has been a bit better the past few weeks and I have found a few books that I have really loved, but for those few weeks I really felt like I was in a slump.
Reading slumps happen to everyone and it is nothing to be ashamed of, but they are also something that can be easy or hard to get out of.
Today I will be presenting my top tips for getting out a reading slump and learning to love books again.
- Stop reading the books you aren’t enjoying: If a book isn’t bringing you joy (and you don’t have to read it for some reason such as school) stop reading it. I have a whole Goodreads shelf called “Abandoned” which has 63 books on it, which I know isn’t even every book I gave up on. Life is too short to be reading books that you hate. If you aren’t excited to pick up your book it is a sign you shouldn’t be reading it.
- Switch it up: Read a book that is completely different from the books you have been reading. If you have been reading lots of fiction, pick up a non-fiction title and if you are full of too many facts pick up a fiction title. This can even be said for physical,e-books, and audio books; you may just need a switch up in your life.
- Read a book you love: Whether this is Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh, Game of Thrones, or something else; go back to a tried and true. You don’t always have to be reading something new and sometimes you need to go back to an old favourite to remember why you love reading.
- Talk to others: Reading doesn’t have to be a solo event so talk to others about having troubles finding a book you love. They can encourage you and maybe give you a great suggestion that they know you will love.
- Take a break: You aren’t a bad person or a bad reader if you take a break for a while. Sometimes you need some time to do something different. Spend your time listening to music or podcasts and come back to books when you are ready.
Have you ever had a reading slump? What have you done to help make it pass?