I love clothes and I love feeling good in my clothes and I have found that as I have reduced my wardrobe and really focused on what makes me feel good I have loved getting dressed in the morning even more.
I have done a few 10×10 challenges in the past year, pairing down my closet to only 10 items for 10 days and while I love what they have done for figuring out new outfits and challenging myself I wanted to try something else, which brings us to this summer and Project 333.
What is Project 333? Project 333 is a minimalist fashion challenge that challenges you to only wear 33 items of clothing or less for 3 months. Different people take this to include different things including shoes, accessories, jewelry, and outerwear.
How am I going to do it?
- Time: 3 months; June, July, and August
- Items included: Clothing, shoes, outerwear
- Items not included: jewelry, other accessories, workout clothes, home lounge wear, dress for weddings in the summer
- Break: One week where I am going to live at camp I will not include as I will need completely different clothing
Prep: I started the prep for this challenge over a month in advance as I knew this was something that if I wanted to succeed in I couldn’t just throw it together and hope it worked. I started by creating a list in a notebook of all of the categories of clothing and the approximate number of items I wanted to include from each section. The categories I chose were:
- Tank Tops
I then took a look into my closet and started pulling out my absolute favourite pieces that I knew I wanted to wear this summer and started making sure that things I liked fit together and could mix and match. I then wrote everything down (in pencil so it could be easily change) and let those choices sit for a while. I also took this change to take a look at the items I didn’t chose and see if I wanted to get rid of them from my closet which I did for a few of them.
A few days before May ended I took a look at my list again and made a few changes, making sure that the 33 items were what I really wanted to spend my summer wearing and packed everything else up under the bed for a few months from now. I spent the last few days wearing the non chosen clothes for the last time and then said goodbye to them.
Here is what I will be wearing this summer:
- Striped loose pants – Eco Vibe
- Mint Jeans – old Old Navy
- Coral Capri’s – thrifted
- Black paper bag pants – old Forever 21
- White Shorts – thrifted
- Blue Jeans – thrifted
- Mustard Skirt – thrifted
- Checked shirt – thrifted
- Blue floral shirt – thrifted
- Mustard shirt – Target
- Purple floral blouse – thrifted
- Striped button up shirt – Eco Vibe
- White floral shirt – Dynamite
- Grey polka dot t-shirt – thrifted
- White striped t-shirt – thrifted
Sleeveless Tops: 4
- White button shirt – thrifted
- Blue floral tank – thrifted
- Teal tank top – thrifted
- Grey Pacific North West – local Portland artist
- White patterned – thrifted
- Blue and yellow dress – thrifted
- Striped t-shirt dress – thrifted
- Larger striped dress – old Old Navy
- Disney sweater – Disney
- White cardigan – thrifted
- Green jacket – thrifted
- Black blazer – old H&M
- Black – PixieMood
- Navy polka dot – thrifted
- Yellow lace ups – Toms
- Black toms – Toms
- Beige loafers – thrifted
- White sneakers – Toms
Well here we go on this new adventure, wish me luck as I pare down my wardrobe and find ways to wear just 33 items for 3 months.
8 thoughts on “my summer wardrobe challenge – project 333”
I’m switching over to a capsule wardrobe. Like it so far
I love this idea! And it was really cool to see all your choices for your wardrobe laid out